Iconic Ambassador Car Maker Hindustan Motors To Launch Electric Car and Scooter

Hindustan Motors, the Famous Company That Makes the Iconic Ambassador Car, Is Planning to Make a Comeback Once Again by Entering EV Segment

The iconic Ambassador car maker, Hindustan Motors, is planning to make a comeback once again by entering the Electric Vehicle (EV) segment.

According to media reports, Hindustan Motors is looking to revive its business by joining hands with a European automobile company in the EV industry. However, not much information has been revealed about the EU company yet. But it is reported that Hindustan Motors has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a European EV manufacturer.

Reportedly, both the auto makers are currently discussing the equity structure. In the current proposed framework, Hindustan Motors will hold 51 per cent and the European brand will hold the remaining 49 per cent.The reports further said that besides electric car, Hindustan Motors will also manufacture electric two-wheelers through the said joint venture. In fact, the first product from the company will be an electric scooter. As a matter of fact, the electric 2-wheeler market is at an all-time high and is still growing. The electric scooter/ bike has received positive response from the buyers.

The electric vehicles will be initially manufactured at Hindustan Motors' Uttarpara plant in West Bengal, which was operational till 2014. The company will use 295 acres of Uttarpara area. The joint venture will invest around Rs 600 crore. Further information about the progress in same will be revealed in the near future.

Founded in 1942, Hindustan Motors manufactured the Ambassador and Landmaster motorcars (based on 1956 Morris Oxford series III), both immensely popular Indian automobiles, from 1957–2014. In February 2017, Hindustan Motors executed an agreement with Netherlands-based Peugeot SA for the sale of the Ambassador brand, including the trademarks, for a consideration of ₹80 crore.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post
Like this content? Sign up for our daily newsletter to get latest updates.