The 4th edition of the NASSCOM-Zinnov report titled “Indian Start-up Ecosystem 2018: Approaching Escape Velocity” is a compilation of facts, trends, and insights on the Indian Tech Start-up landscape. The report examines the evolution of the ecosystem, its growth drivers, and highlights the role played by investors, incubators/ accelerators, and the Government.
Currently, India has about 7,700 tech startups in the country, making it the third largest in the world and in 2018 the country has added 1,200 new technology startups, as against 1,000 in 2017. However, the number of new tech startups had fallen for the first time in five years in 2017 as funding had slowed.
More key findings of the report –
- 7200-7700 Start-ups incepted during 2013-18; overall base growing at 12-15%
- 1200+ Start-ups added in 2018
- 8 Start-ups become Unicorns in 2018; highest addition in a single calendar year ever!!!
Funding and Merger & Acquisition –
- USD 4.3 Bn funding received by Start-ups in 2018 (Jan-Sep); more than 100% YoY growth
- USD 9.4 Mn average funding per deal (144% increase over 2017); Seed stage funding further down by 21%
- 70+ M&As, which is 15% increase from 2017
- Fundings by Verticals –
- AI Start-ups’ Funding grew by 120% YoY and Over $150 Mn invested in 2018
- Blockchain funding (though on a smaller base) grew by 500% YoY ($2 Mn to $11 Mn)
Startup Ecosystem Enablers –
- 210+ active Accelerators/Incubators; 11% increase compared to 2017
- 35+ Corporate Incubators/Accelerators incepted in the last 3 years
- 14+ active International Startup Exchange missions
- Enterprise Software, FinTech, and HealthTech are leading verticals, which comprise 50% of total Startups
- Advanced Tech Startups grew over 50% in 2017 alone
- Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence and IoT Startups are witnessing fastest adoption across Industry verticals.
- IN 2017 and 2018, the no. of FinTech start-ups incepted have been more than the no. of Enterprise Software start-ups
View Full Report Here – Get The Report