Unitus Seed Fund (USF) along with Sylvant Advisors today announced that Bengalore and California-based HashLearn emerged as the winner of the third edition of StartEdu competition. HashLearn won a prize of five lakh rupees ($7,500) and a chance to pitch to Unitus Seed Fund for a seed investment of up to INR 1cr ($151,000), while the runner-up Les Transformation won the opportunity to receive ongoing mentoring and incubation support from one of our Speed2Seed accelerator partners. The top 10 finalists pitched to a panel of experts in India education startups, including Madan Padaki of Sylvant Advisors, Srikanth Iyer formerly of Pearson Education, Anand Daniel of Accel Partners, Alok Mittal formerly of Canaan Partners, and Will Poole of Unitus Seed Fund.
Competition for this third edition of StartEdu was intense. USF received a total of 137 applications. After multiple rounds of screening and selection, we brought the selected the final shortlist with a total of 10 companies.
“The ten finalists all presented passionate and compelling plans to improve education in India using for-profit and sustainable business models,” said Will Poole, managing partner of Unitus Seed Fund. “Selecting a winner and runner-up was not easy. We wish all of the contestants the most success as they develop their businesses.”, he added.
The final list of all 10 edu-tech startups selected along with winner & runner-up are:
1.HashLearn, Bengaluru – India’s first on-demand mobile tutoring platform connecting students with authentic tutors from India’s premier engineering colleges.
2.Les Transformations, Gurgaon – Les Transformations is successfully working towards transforming teachers with the use of psychology, data innovation and technology.
Other finalists include:
- BodhiSutra, Noida – Get working professionals fluent in English through live one-on-one practice sessions with trainers all over India on mobile.
- Buddy4Study, Noida – Buddy4Study connects thousands of scholarship schemes to needy, talented students & helps them in their application process on time.
- Edufactors Pvt. Ltd., Pune – Parent driven program for kids of ages 5 to 12 which contains 1 tutor sheet and 5 worksheets for the kids to do the following week Monday through Friday.
- LearnAnand Technologies, Pune – WordsMaya helps students and professionals improve communication English through WhatsApp.
- Learnapt, Vadodra-Bharuch, Gujarat – They bring together Art, Pedagogy, and Technology to build a network of learners, mentors, and publishers, and create memorable learning experiences.
- Nexus Consulting, Bangalore – Nexus makes knowledge fun and interesting for audiences through curated content & quizzes, and delivers education, entertainment & engagement.
- Vibrant International Training & Consulting Private Limited, Chennai – Campus placements for final year Engg & MBA students by training them on all pre-requisites as required by the prospective employers.
- YoungCurrent, Bangalore – News for Kids, aggregated from child-friendly news publishers and served to each child’s reading abilities, personalized with assessments & reports.