Not many people which have anything to do with IoT know this but a manifesto for designing Internet of Things (IoT) has been released recently called – IOT Design Manifesto 1.0 (View Document), the manifesto essentially serves as a code of conduct for everyone involved in developing the Internet of Things.
This code of conduct or manifesto outlines 10 principles to help create balanced and honest products in a burgeoning field with many unknowns.
Ten principles of the Manifesto 1.0 are:
- We don’t believe the hype
- We design useful things
- We aim for the win-win-win
- We keep everyone and everything secure
- We build and promote a culture of privacy
- We are deliberate about what data we collect
- We make the parties associated with an IoT product explicit
- We empower users to be the masters of their own domain
- We design things for their lifetime
- In the end, we are human beings.
First drafted by a number of design professionals, this manifesto is intended to be a living document that the larger community of peers working within the IoT field can contribute to and improve upon.
The team of initial authors will commit themselves to listen to suggestions and recommendations from the field and produce succeeding versions of the manifesto that reflect the opinions of professionals in the field of IoT.
The organization behind the menifesto has even invited people from all across the globe to join the discussion on how to improve this manifesto and work towards a valuable code of conduct for our industry. Till yet more than two hundred people have signed the manifesto.